West Nipissing Fire Service made quick work of a fire that started in the basement of a Second Street dwelling on Monday afternoon, August 16.
Crews were on the scene minutes after getting the call from homeowners Paulyne Charron and Pierre Lelievre. Charron had just gotten back to the house after visiting the neighbours and was preparing dinner when she first noticed something was wrong.
“I did go in the basement, I went to my freezer to get food for supper, and I came up and all of a sudden, I could smell something,” she says. “And then, I could see smoke. I just happened to see (Pierre) coming home and said ‘There’s something in the house! Hurry up’ and he came in and by then, it was black smoke. It happened so fast.”
Several trucks responded to the call and crews were able to put out the blaze shortly after arriving on scene.
“Firefighters made a quick entry and located the flames fairly quick; they did a great job,” commends WN Fire Chief Richard Maranda.
No one was injured. Charron and Lelievre were the only ones in the house at the time.